Archive for the ‘电脑’ Category
1. send yourself an email (through gmail)
2. go to the gmail mobile site (not the gmail app, there is no way opening the file in any other way inside the app), but on the mobile site, you can long hold onto the file, and open it in another safari window, and then at the top of the window, there is “Open In…” option
3. choose wechat from the list of options and then you can choose which contact to send it to
RC (raidcall) is YY/GoToMeeting of Taiwan. Unfortunately I need to use it and its only versions are for Windows/Android. The solution is to use a Windows VM on Mac and install RC onto the VM.
1. Install VirtualBox on Mac
2. Find a copy of Windows XP. It would be a lot harder to find a copy of Windows 7 without a product key.
3. Create a VM in VirtualBox, Windows XP 64 bit for example. You need to pick the correct network interface card in the settings. The default ‘Intel’ one doesn’t really work. Pick the ‘AMD’ one. Otherwise your VM will not be able to access the internet.
4. Install Windows XP. The installation can read from an iso file since the installation is controlled by VirtualBox/Mac and Mac has native support of treating iso file as cd drive.
5. However, we can still download a copy of RC from the MAC and share the executable with the VM. To achieve this, you need to install Guest Additions first inside the VM. Then create the folder on the Mac and then in the settings of VM create a shared folder. If your network is set up correctly, which you can test by trying to ping the host machine from the VM, you should be able to see a Network Drive in the VM and that is the shared folder from the host.
6. Download RC and move it to the said shared folder on the host.
7. Download a small mount tool from Microsoft so that you can mount the iso file of Windows XP as a drive, so when you install the east asian language pack, you can tell the installer to read from that drive.
8. From Windows VM, install multi-language package (east asian language package).
9. Bingo, now you can install RC. The copy from rc’s website works fine. I heard sometimes you have to check whether the copy of RC you are installing are talking to Taiwan’s servers or America’s servers. Luckily the copy I installed worked right off bat and I can get into the group I want.
10. Pat yourself on the back and you deserve a break. I figured all these out in two days’, about five to six hours of googling mostly, with practically zero real knowledge on how VMs work. Another few hours if you count the download time of all software involved.
this page explains it well
basically, you need a small tool (unofficial software from microsoft) so that you can mount an ‘iso’ file as a drive and then you can install things from it when xp asks for a cd.
it copies a driver file (.sys) into system directory and then a small executable to mount and unmount for you.
Greetings from Windows XP inside VirtualBox!
When you create the virtual machine, you have to be careful of the network settings. For me, I choose ‘Bridged Adapter’ (this means the VM will be another computer on the same LAN as the host). *And* choose ‘PCnet-FAST III’ in the advanced settings part. The default ‘Intel’ option won’t work.
Now at least the vm can ping the host. Running ‘ipconfig’ on the vm will list some network interface information too. The shared folder finally shows up in ‘My Computer’ as ‘Shared Network Drive’. The world can go on now.
$ tar -cvf test.tar.gz directory_name
$ split -b 5M test.tar.gz prefix
you can use -d option to name the pieces with numbers. default this will name the components aa ab…az ba… etc
to join this file, we can use cat command.
$ cat prefix* > test.tar.gz
ionice -c3 nice -n 19 ls (or any command)
screen nice your command (in that order)
you can be nice to yourself too — that way when you are running some intensive job your browser can be more responsive
just type u and your user name